Prof. Fatih Hilmioğlu, former rector of Inonu University, was released from jail on February 20 for six months after an order from the Constitutional Court that said his imprisonment interfered with his treatment for cancer and other illnesses acquired in prison, and this constituted an infringement of his right to life. Immediately after leaving the prison, Hilmioğlu said “If I’ve been released due to the excessive length of my detention, there are still people there who have been detained longer than me. If I’ve been released for health reasons, I can say as a doctor that there are people there who are sicker than me.”
CCS wrote on behalf of Hilmioglu and circulated petitions asking for his release on the grounds of his health problems.
- Turkish court releases Ergenekon case convict (worldbulletin.net)
- TURKISH PRESS REVIEW on FEB. 21 (worldbulletin.net)
- Turkish Medical Doctor Fatih Hilmioğlu Released on Medical Grounds (nationalacademies.org)
- Court Hands Down Harsh Verdicts in Ergenekon Case: Drs. Haberal, Hilmioğlu, Gürüz get 13 to 23 Years (concernedscientists.org)
- 2013 Annual Report (concernedscientists.org)