The same day as human rights activists delivered 14,000 petition signatures, including 31 by Nobel Physics Laureates, for Omid Kokabee’s release, the American Association for the Advancement of Science awarded him the prize for Freedom and Scientific Responsibility. Representatives of the human rights organization, including CCS co-chair Eugene Chudnovsky, also met with Iranian officials at the Iran UN mission, who remained non-committal. However, the activists are cautiously optimistic because of the Iran Supreme Court’s decision to rehear Kokabee’s case, although there is also deep concern for the 32-year old physicist’s deteriorating health.
- Scientists and Activists Call for the Release of Imprisoned Iranian Physicist (physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com)
- Kokabee Petitions Delivered to Iranian Representatives to the United Nations (aps.org)
- 2014 AAAS Scientific Freedom and Responsibility Award Goes to Omid Kokabee, Iranian Physicist and Prisoner of Conscience (aaas.org)
- Nobel laureates call for release of Iranian physicist (blogs.nature.com)
- 31 Nobel Physics Prize Laureates Join Thousands of Activists to Call for the Release of Iranian Physicist (payvand.com)