Thousands of academics have been terminated from their positions, detained by the authorities and/or arrested since the Turkish Coup in April 2016. Among them are the Academics for Peace who signed a declaration for ceasing human rights violations in the Kurdish provinces. 2,212 academics signed the petition. As of March 2017 at least 383 signatories have been purged from their jobs, banned from traveling abroad and denied recourse to legal dispute. During this time these scholars still have to support their livelihoods and their families. To show solidarity with the affected academics, Research Institute on Turkey and Bostonbul (both 501(c)(3) non -profit organizations, GIT-NA and concerned academics in North America are launching a campaign to raise an initial fund of $105,000 to help support 35 academics for a period of six months. The funds will be fully allocated to financially support the Academics for Peace through close collaboration with Education and Science Workers’ Union, Egitim-Sen, and other associations which are actively assisting the purged Academics for Peace at the local and international level.
Here is how you can help:
- Donate at this link. There is no small amount. All donations are fully tax deductible. Your employer may match your donation – please use the name Research Institute on Turkey, Inc. with Tax ID # 81-4004031. For more information please see here, talk to your HR Rep, or
- contact us at email@example.com.
- Forward this email to your network and encourage them to get involved.
- Tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RIoTurkey/status/841720000293527552
- Share it on Facebook: https://goo.gl/JjEZU9